members have a grievance over issues such as plagiarism, with a publisher over
a contractual issue, or a similar matter; and that grievance has not been
resolved after the member has made reasonable endeavors, the member may
approach the HWA Grievance Committee. The Committee will consider the facts and endeavor to assist the Member
in getting a satisfactory resolution.” -
HWA Member Handbook
Committee is established to provide an avenue within the organization where
members may freely and openly inform the association of events that may
negatively affect the organization or its members. The Chairman of the
Grievance Committee must appoint volunteers to act as committee members. The committee must have a minimum of 5
volunteers including the chairman, but never exceed 9 members, including
committee DOES NOT:
- Make decisions
regarding the morality of members.
- Take sides on any
purpose of the Grievance Committee is to help members resolve various
complaints AFTER the member
has utilized their own methods of resolution.
chairman will notify HWA leadership and Board of Directors of any negative
trends found in grievances.
Steps of grievance committee upon receiving complaint:
- Ensure that complainant is a dues-paying member of the HWA.
- Ensure that complaint specifies type of grievance.
- Contact complainant within 72 hours.
- Contact defendant within 48 hours after receiving a completed grievance form from the complainant.
- Check complaint against the current bylaws of the association.
the form below to submit a grievance to the HWA.
Only members (of any level) may submit directly. Non-members must send a query first. Email queries to email@example.com.
We accept two types of submissions: non-fiction articles and recommendations. Articles can be about anything related to the horror genre, the horror industry, horror writing, or the HWA. Keep your audience in mind. If in doubt about whether your topic is appropriate or not, you can query at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Word limit: 1000 words; 200 words for bio (total of 1200 words max).
2. No slander.
3. Spellcheck and copyedit for punctuation and grammar. We will reject a sloppy article.
4. No line indents. No tabs. Put a blank line between paragraphs.
5. Indicate links by putting the URL in parentheses after the text you want linked.
6. If you have images, please note that in your cover letter and we'll contact you about them. Images should be no smaller than 500px wide. JPG format only. We will crop it. Images must NOT be copyrighted by anyone other than you.
7. HTML: If you know HTML and can appropriately format the article, please do, and submit it as a .txt file.
8. You receive no payment for your article or recommendation. It will stay live on the site until you ask us to take it down, until we decide to remove it, or until the site becomes defunct.
By submitting, you agree that the material submitted is your own work and that you have the right to let us publish it on the HWA website and blog. Send submissions to email@example.com.