If you are an HWA member, and you would like to write a book or story recommendation for the HWA blog, follow these simple guidelines. We reserve the right to reject any submission for any reason. We reserve the right to make edits.
Only members (of any level) may submit a recommendation.
Recommendations are shorter articles in which you recommend a book or short story you’ve read, explaining why you liked it and why you recommend it.
Recommendations are NOT critiques. We are not interested in what you think is wrong with a story or could use more work. We want to know why you enjoyed it. We will reject--either in part or in whole--negative statements about a particular work.
The material you're recommending does not need to have been written by an HWA member, but it does have to be related to the horror/dark fantasy/paranormal/supernatural genres, either fiction or non-fiction.
Again, these are not reviews, but recommendations. Tell us why you liked it.
Word limit: 500 words; 100 words for bio (total of 600 words max).
1. No profanity.
2. No slander.
3. Spellcheck and copyedit for punctuation and grammar. We will reject a sloppy write-up.
4. No line indents. No tabs. Put a blank line between paragraphs.
5. Indicate links by putting the URL in parentheses after the text you want linked.
6. If you have images, please note that in your cover letter and we'll contact you about them. Images should be no smaller than 200px wide. JPG format only. We will crop it. Book cover images are awesome. Other images must NOT be copyrighted by anyone other than you.
7. HTML: If you know HTML and can appropriately format the article, please do, and submit it as a .txt file.
8. You receive no payment for your article or recommendation. It will stay live on the site until you ask us to take it down, until we decide to remove it, or until the site becomes defunct.
By submitting, you agree that the material submitted is your own work and that you have the right to let us publish it on the HWA website and blog.