In a major advance for our website and the positioning of our members’ work we have just launched a Young Adult Horror section on our website, at http://www.horror.org/yahorror/
It’s a bit sparse at the moment but we will begin to populate it shortly. To launch, we are fortunate to have the input of acclaimed comic strip writer and HWA member, Ray Billingsley as we look to use YA horror to improve uptake of reading, and of literacy generally.
All YA material that appears on our ‘Dark Whispers’ blog will be duplicated on this YA section, so that librarians, parents, teachers and young adult readers can find our YA material in one easy place.
We will shortly be adding last year’s Bram Stoker Award® nominees for Young Adult Novel and the winners of the Award for this category in previous years. There will be a selective addition of ‘iconic’ and notable YA works from past years at some point also.
You can assist us to populate the YA section by doing the following:
· If you have a blog to write about YA and YA horror you can submit by following the guidelines at the bottom of this announcement
Remember the audience here is not fellow HWA members – it is librarians, parents, teachers and most of all Young Adult readers.
Size limit: 1000 words for article, 200 words for bio
If you’d like to submit an article to the HWA blog, follow these simple guidelines. We reserve the right to reject any submission for any reason.
Only members (of any level) may submit directly. Non-members must send a query first. Email queries to email@example.com.
We accept two types of submissions: non-fiction articles and recommendations. Articles can be about anything related to the horror genre, the horror industry, horror writing, or the HWA. Keep your audience in mind. If in doubt about whether your topic is appropriate or not, you can query at firstname.lastname@example.org
Word limit: 1000 words; 200 words for bio (total of 1200 words max).
1. No profanity.
2. No slander.
3. Spellcheck and copyedit for punctuation and grammar. We will reject a sloppy article.
4. No line indents. No tabs. Put a blank line between paragraphs.
5. Indicate links by putting the URL in parentheses after the text you want linked.
6. If you have images, please note that in your cover letter and we'll contact you about them. Images should be no smaller than 500px wide. JPG format only. We will crop it. Images must NOT be copyrighted by anyone other than you.
7. HTML: If you know HTML and can appropriately format the article, please do, and submit it as a .txt file.
8. You receive no payment for your article or recommendation. It will stay live on the site until you ask us to take it down, until we decide to remove it, or until the site becomes defunct.
By submitting, you agree that the material submitted is your own work and that you have the right to let us publish it on the HWA website and blog. Send submissions to email@example.com